From:
LORI ISENSTADT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:36:20 -0700
Hi everyone:

I posted to this list about 1 1/2 weeks ago regarding a mom I am working with who has oversupply to the max.  I  have emailed privately to the members who sent me some suggestions, however, thought it might be helpful to update everyone.

Briefly this mom came in for sore,cracked, bleeding nipples.  Fixed latch and within one week oversupply kicked in.  This mom has many factors which would put most new mothers in such a stressed out mode that it would likely have a negative impact on her milk supply, but not this mom.

We have tried same side feeds, pumping variations, cabbage leaves, and sage (lots and lots of sage).  Baby always having difficulty with flow and mom experiencing multiple bouts of plugged ducts which seem to turn into mastitis within hours of first observed plug.

I missed speaking with mom for one week because of Thanksgiving holiday and then she did not return two phone calls.  Finally spoke to her the other day.
What she self-diagnosed and treated two days before thanksgiving turned out to me an acute viral infection which put her in the hospital for a 4 day stay, after 2 days of non-stop vomiting and minor food intake.

So, I asked:  almost thinking her prayers would be answered...... What did this do to your milk supply

Answer:  Nothing!  STill as bad as ever!!!

Turns out they let her baby stay with her during the whole hospital stay, as long as she had someone in the room with her.  Her Aunt (surrogate mother) was happy to do so.

So, mom is out of her mind with too much milk and always feeling uncomfortable.
As we talked about her situation, at least this time she was stating:  Well, we really need to do something about this, BUT I realize I don't really want to quit as I am just beginning to enjoy breastfeeding him, BUT I need to do something!!!

I discussed with her some of the advise that I got from Lactnet:

hold out until the 3 month mark, as several Lactnetters said that it seemed that that was their person turning point.  The prolactin levels dropped and they were fine.

OR get her hormone levels checked and take it from there

OR get tested for celiac disease as one Lactnetter said that she had celiac disease and oversupply and felt there was a coorelation and if so, possibly cutting out gluten would help.

OR look into homeopathic consult and in the  meantime donating her milk.

OR  estrogen birth control pills before deciding to wean.

OR  the following advise:

I had a patient early this year who had way to much
milk and I saw her at 5 weeks.  We tried the 3 -4
times at one breast with no success initially.  I
posted to Lactnet about it and got the advice to have
her pump both breasts to empty and THEN to do 8 hours
of feeds on one breast and 8 hours on the other and
stretch that to 12 hours and 16 hours and 24 hours if
neccessary.  It worked!  I think the rationalle was
that pumping both breasts empty *reset the milk
thermostat* and then keeping the baby to one breast
for a set period of time decreased the supply.
Finally at 3 months of age, they were comfortable
breastfeeding.
You might look in the archives under oversupply to get
even more ideas.

Given all the above information, mom said that cabbage leaves worked well for her, but she only did it once or twice.  What she opted for was to try Sage again, in a heavier dose, combined with cabbage leaves, combined with pumping, prn.

I, of course, discussed the potential side effects and possible major drop in supply with this care plan and urged her to be alert to babies cues & to call me every 2 days to report progress.

So, today is Day 2, let's see if I hear from her.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks to everyone who answered my plea for help.  I welcome any additional thoughts on this post.

BTW:  This is a 20 year old, unmarried, who is in the process of going through custody with the FOB, who judge has said can have baby 1 hour for a few days, 2 hours for a few days and within 2 week time, move it to 8 hour days and by mid January be prepared for overnight visits.  Any specific advise on this topic would be welcomed privately so as not to tie up the list.  She is already researching LLL great site and Elizabeth Baldwins work.

Lori J. Isenstadt, IBCLC