From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:32:43 EST
>>I have a request from a mom of 3 wk old twins. She says that they have been
very gassy & fussy from midnight to 5 am most every day since birth. The
babies have been exclusively breastfed & are gaining weight well! She
breastfeeds them frequently--one day she logged in 38 breastfeeding sessions
for both babies! The gas passes when she breastfeeds, <<

I have seen this a lot with twins and think the increased reporting has much
to do with the fact that there are 2 of them crying :)! and that many twins
were premature and thus have more digestive probs.  A few things; does she
attempt to lay them flatter at night? If so, this may be the culprit, suggest
elevating HOB or trying infant seats/ car seats very reclined, heating pad or
hot h2o bottle might help or Mom's diet, if particularly desparate-the usual
remove dairy first route.
With the very frequent feeding, does Mom have an oversupply issue? If so,
more hind milk may help as well.
Good Luck!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts