From:
Royce Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:12:22 -0600
Angela Kirkwood states "As an RN/BSN, I am aware that I cannot tell a mother
to take or use a medication, that would be out of my nursing scope of
practice as well as IBCLC."

Dear Angela et al,

That reminds me of a Mother/Baby home visit that I did many years ago.  The
mother was obviously constipated. I MADE that DX, I TX'd her by encouraging
her to increase high fiber foods, drink plenty of fluids, perhaps try warm
apple juice, take 1-2 stool softeners per day and if no BM in 2 days to take
Dulcolas!!!!!!  I guess I functioned WAY outside my S of P as an RN,
IBCLC...Of course; I noted my findings and stated what I had done and sent a
copy to her OB. The next time I saw him (which happened to be on a crowded
hospital elevator) he THANKED me for "picking up" on her problem and taking
care of that for him!!! I know that was only a "lack of poop problem", but
don't you think that we can make some decisions on our own?

I would not even CONSIDER calling a doc for an order to give Tylenol, Maalox
or something like that.........would you?  Assuming you have common sense, I
would not give ASA for a HA if the pt had a bleeding ulcer, but...

Royce Anderson, RN, IBCLC, RLC, CD (DONA)