From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:20:58 -0400
<<  It isn't the volume of blood
> lost so much as whether the woman was in deep shock (characterized by
> precipitous fall in blood pressure and loss of consciousness) with
> consequent lack of perfusion to the pituitary.  So if she were getting
> adequate fluid replacement, and eventually plasma expanders and/or blood
> transfusions, right along, one wouldn't expect to see the kind of tissue
> damage in Sheehan's at all.
> I have cared for women who have lost almost their entire blood volumes
> (up
> to 5 liters)>>

Hey Rachel,

Thanks so much for responding.   The estimated loss was 2 litres.    It
was a hb that transported.  IV's were started as soon as paramedics
arrived.   When the did her hgb upon admission (10pm) it was 8.    When
they did it the next morning (6 am) it was 6.9.   She was briefly
loosing consciousness  initially and her bp did get down to 80/46
iirc.   by the time the paramedics arrived though she was conscious and
aware and her bp was  96/50something.   I wasn't there but spoke with
the mw this am.....the details are sketchy b/c my kids were singing
loudly in the backseat:)

yesterday she did a lot of protein and got started on  Solgar Hematinic
Formula (my very very favorite iron supplement).   Today, she was able,
much much to the suprise of her mw and nurse, get up to go to the
bathroom.   She insisted on leaving the hospital today.

She's had an u/s today, the results of which I don't know.  Her placenta
was in bad shape and had to be removed bit by bit.   The cnm said she
felt certain she got it all, but mom was insistent on the u/s b/c if her
milk doesn't come in - or is delayed...she doesn't want to have to be
guessing at that point.

Baby is nursing very very well and frequently.   Mom is also pumping
several times per day with a hollister hospital pump.  She's doing MMP
tincture and additional fenugreek b/c it's helping her feel proactive.

This baby will be nursed.    Everyone is assuming he'll get his needs
met by moms milk.....but if that doesn't happen, there will be some
donor milk (wide and deep support from a large network of nursing moms
in her community) and/or ABM via a lact-aid.

Thanks for your help  (and yours Anne!!)   Will keep everyone posted.

katherine in atl
who just lost another LLL/mw friend to breastcancer;/   just
yesterday......  what a week.