From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:18:40 -0400
My rant for the day...
norma

1)
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA091505.belliard.online.5e98f071.html
Company agrees to stop selling contaminated infant formula
> Officials with the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) declared at the time that the infant formula was so contaminated with flies and dirt that it could only be safely sold as animal feed. Belliard represented later that Milky Way Traders had sold the product as feed. However, a subsequent investigation by that agency and the Attorney General determined that Belliard's employees shipped the product into Mexico at prices that indicated it was being sold possibly as food for infants. <

             Would I want my own companion animals to eat that garbage?
             Would I want to eat animals that had been fed that garbage?

2)
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=local&id=3448082
September 16, 2005 - Public breast feeding is now a fight for women in Ohio
>COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A state law goes into effect today that allows
mothers to breast feed their babies in public. It's the result of an
eight-year campaign by a Cincinnati-area woman who was told by a
Wal-Mart employee in 1997 to feed her baby in the restroom or leave
the store.

Thirty-four-year-old Dana Bronner lost her lawsuit against Wal-Mart
but subsequently got a bill passed by the Legislature with the help of
state Senator Patricia Clancy of Cincinnati. During hearings on the
legislation, Wal-Mart changed its policy to allow breast feeding. <

               Ohio, home of a major formula company... hmm...

3)
http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2005-09-16T122805Z_01_MCC644866_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-BREASTFEEDING-INCOME-DC.XML
>>NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Low-income women may be more likely to
breastfeed their infants if they get a little encouragement from their
peers, a new study suggests.

Researchers found that a peer-counseling program boosted rates of
exclusive breastfeeding among low-income, predominantly Hispanic women
who gave birth at one urban hospital. Compared with new mothers not
involved in the program, these women were 15 times more likely to give
their infants only breast milk for the first 3 months of life.
<clip>
Ninety-one percent of women in the peer-counseling group started
breastfeeding during their hospital stay, as did 76 percent of those
in the comparison group.
<clip>
 There are, however, many other factors that affect a mother's ability
to exclusively breastfeed, Anderson said. These include the length of
maternity leave and whether the job environment allows a mother to
pump her breast milk. He also pointed to a need for public policies
that encourage exclusive breastfeeding, and not just any
breastfeeding, as well as broader acceptance of breastfeeding in
public areas.

SOURCE: Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, September 2005. <<

                     We are learning what works... slowly.... or maybe
just RElearning what worked for generations before ours?