From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:56:22 +0000
Lola

I think what you are describing is a periodontal syringe.

I prefer to use an ordinary dropper to supplement at breast, or to
finger-feed.  I found the p/syringe tricky to use, since the rubber at the
end of the plunger would sometimes stick and then "give", and I was worried
about squirting too large a volume of milk all at once into the baby's
mouth.  On the other hand, an ordinary dropper can be inserted into the
corner of the baby's mouth (along the nipple or finger), and the baby can
control the flow easily by sucking, or not.  I used to be able to buy
fairly wide-bore plastic baby droppers, the blue rubber bulb could be
removed, and the inside of the dropper could be easily cleaned with a tiny
brush, unfortunately not in the US, and don't know if they would be
available there.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, UK (formerly Zimbabwe)