From:
Deena Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 14:16:38 -0500
Post partum depression is a diagnosis for a group of etiologies.  Mny cases
can be addressed by having the mom get some SLEEP and some HELP and I truly
feel are contributed to by they things described about our society.  Some
mothers do need some medicinal help to get over the hump.  Unfortunately,
there is a perception out there that nursing "causes" post psrtum depression
and the women are told not to nurse even on subsequent babies (This is what
I was told -fortunately, I did not listen).  From what I have been able to
determine from my review of the literature, the evidence on this is very
scanty.  What mom's need is to be treated by breastfeeding supportive mental
health professionals - sometimes hard to find as other professionals who
support br3eastfeeding are sometimes hard to find as wel.....
--
*  Deena Zimmerman MD MPH                          *
*  Department of Pediatrics                        *