From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:34:29 -0500
Hi Diane, Just working this out on paper (without my calculator) it seems
baby lost right at 10 percent, then gained about 5 oz per week (average)
over those 5 wks (26 oz total). This seems not to be too worrisome. I don't
like the 10 percent becoz it usually tells me of early problems, however, if
the weight started trending up fairly early in that first week and has
steadily increased, it seems ok. Was the baby premature or with any health
issues at all? Has the baby been supplemented at all during those weeks?
Could mother carry baby in a sling or other carrier. He perhaps is a
high-need kind of baby. Not sure exactly what mom is trying to accomplish by
one pumping a day to help the weight gain. The weight gain does not seem a
problem on the face of it. The one time extra pumping could help the supply,
but giving it to the baby at some arbitrary time (like at night) rather than
nursing him, could actually lead to a milk supply mis-match with baby, and
I'm not sure that would work in the long run. Is mother involved with any
mother to mother support? Is baby just hanging out a lot on the breast, not
that this would be a problem, but it is for this mom, she could try
switching him if he is not actively drinking, so that he is more efficient
in his time at breast. I think my main tactic would be to try to reassure
it's normal, and help her figure out ways to cope with the baby and toddler
and keep bf. I generally will do weight checks weekly if mom is really
concerned.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA