From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 07:13:52 +1000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5109234.stm

"Parents of every child considered for the study were advised to breastfeed
their children. However, none of the children who ended up taking part was
breastfed." - o really?? Is anyone surprised? I am sure that telling mothers
that we are testing an additive to formula that makes it more like
breastmilk, didn't influence their behaviour, right?  And the mothers were
given really good breastfeeding support, right?  And the researchers had no
interest in women weaning from breastfeeding so they could trial the
intervention, right?
"After six months, 10.6% of the group given prebiotics showed signs of
atopic dermatitis, compared with 22.4% of those given formula supplemented
with a placebo."  And what is the rate of atopic dermatitis in exclusively
breastfed infants???  Nothing like 22.4%, I'd guess.
This sort of research makes me so mad!  The reporting is so dishonest ...
Great! you've added some new singular ingredient to an AIM. It reduces the
risks associated with artificial feeding?  Fabulous!  Just be sure to
measure and report the risks against a true control.  Make sure that the
public knows that compared to exclusive breastfeeding, babies fed on this
processed reconstituted diluted cow milk, are still at elevated risk ....
My rant for the morning ...
(Thanks Ellen for helping me get blood flowing and brain working so early.
It is school holidays here and nothing gets done if not done early!)
Nina Berry BA/Bed(Hons) Dip Arts(Phil)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
PhD Candidate - "Ethical Issues in the marketing of 'Toddler Milks'"