From:
The Phillips' <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:44:10 -0600
Friends, the rhetoric about Dr. Sears keeps ratcheting up and sometimes it
does not reflect well on the writers. I agree that it is disappointing that
he "caved" and violated the WHO code pretty blatantly. I have appreciated
what Elisheva, Kathleen, and Barbara have said about temperance in our
remarks. But comparing his action with presidential misconduct, attempting
to contact his patients, and on a similar list to this one a writer wanted
to go to his home to set him straight--this is over the line! Another writer
feels sick seeing how much Dr. Sears monopolizes LLL group library holdings.
Oh, really? And how did he pull that trick off? Could it be that the
information in those books were carefully chosen (not forced in a monopoly)
and recommended by LLL as they convey excellent attachment parenting
teaching?
I am a private practice LC, but another "calling" is my work with adoptive
families teaching attachment parenting. Most of the children adopted by
these families are 8-36 months old and breastfeeding is not an issue. I
recommend all of Dr. Sears books, and for the parents with younger babies I
heartily recommend his Baby Book. While it discusses breastfeeding
thoroughly, he also includes a chapter on formula feeding in an attachment
style, and an excellent chapter on babywearing. These are subjects my
families need. Dr. Sears' books have made such a wonderful difference to so
many families in terms of fostering attachment and attunement between
parents and their new children, many of whom have several risk factors for
attachment issues. If in the books Dr. Sears only focussed on breastfeeding,
the adoptive families would not read them at all. Breastfeeding is a way to
make attachment  and attunement so much easier, but where that is not going
to happen, Dr. Sears' books still have a valuable contribution to building
healthy family relationships. Many of us admire so much of what he has done
for many years. Yes, he has made a foolish mistake. I do think, however,
that it is very wrong to attack him personally and to discount the very
valuable information in the books he has written. LLL is very wise to
promote his books, and I do hope that they continue to do so.

I think that all of us would agree that the babies who are receiving formula
for whatever reason should have the best formula that the industry can come
up with. When I adopted my daughter Anne three years ago, I had a week and a
half from the time I first heard that she was being placed for adoption
until I took her home. She was 5 weeks old and took to my breast immediately
(smart, fabulous baby!) but of course I had no milk for her. I had no source
of donor milk and bought ABM to use in the Lact-aid. I remember the cost of
the ABM and checking the generic can in comparison with the name brand. I
wish I had a can handy but I remember noting that, unlike what Dr. Sears
says on his website (unless it has changed in the last 2 1/2 years), the
first ingredient on the list for the name brand was milk, and milk was only
the 4th or 5th with the generic, after a bunch of oils and sugars--yecchh.
As you can imagine, I hated using the stuff, but I wanted to feed my
daughter!!I kept using the brand name ABM as it seemed the better choice. I
eventually averaged about 50% of her intake with my milk, and have loved
every second of nurturing her at my breast. I remember the sweet feeling of
"Ah, now she is MINE" as she nursed that first time.
Yes, it would have been wonderful if I'd had a friend who could help provide
human milk for my daughter, or a milk bank to buy it, but in the absence of
those choices, I wanted the next best thing. I have absolutely no problem
with pushing the ABM industry to continually improve their product for the
children who are given it.And just as an aside, though we constantly note
the deficiencies of the manufactured ABM sold here, it is so much better
than what my 9 year old daughter (adopted at age 7 years) was fed in her
orphanage in China. She received bottles of rice flour, sugar and water
formula!!

All of us wish that Dr. Sears had made a different decision, and hope that
he changes his mind. But please let's not forget all the good he has done
for so many families, and the good that he can continue to do. Let's be very
careful with what we say and avoid exaggeration or personal attacks. We have
a valid argument re: his violation of the WHO code. Let's stick to that,
while remembering that the person with whom we are disagreeing about this
one thing has also done so many helpful things.

Mary Alice Phillips, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Wamego, Kansas