From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:52:18 -0500
Just wondering if someone can clue me in.  I'm seeing quite a few babies
having "lots" of trouble with gas in the first couple of days on our unit
and I'm puzzled.  I could see that for a few, maybe it's diet related, dairy
in mom's diet and such.  For some, maybe they've spent some time crying and
thus have swallowed air in between their howls.  Maybe a couple got bottles
early on.  However, any of these scenarios don't fit ALL the babies I've
seen with it lately.  Is it just coincidence, that it is a combination of
all these reasons?  If so, it seems like quite a coincidence!  I've really
been puzzled by this and can't track down a single reason.  This has all
been in the last 2-3 weeks (including prior to the Sept. 11th events).  Any
ideas what is causing all this gastric distress?  We've got lots of babies
with warm packs on their bellies because of this, and I'm curious.  In some
cases it interferes with breastfeeding as baby pulls away and screams, then
settles after passing gas.  Could it be too much switching back and forth
between breasts?  Does that still apply when we're talking about colostrums
and small amounts?  Anyone know?
TIA
Marsha