From:
Tim Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 23:59:18 -0400
I have only posted once with an introduction and a few comments.  Again,
I am Pam Hendrix, RN, IBCLC, ICCE.  Mom of two teens.  Today, I had the
typical LC day at the hospital, until L&D called and said they were
sending a mom up to us who had nipple rings, refused to take them out
and was insistent upon nursing.  To make a long story short.  The baby
had been fed (via the bottle, abm, ugh, baby was 12h old.) three times
since birth.  The nurses were, of course, concerned about choking,
abrasions or worse to the baby's mouth, etc. After I collected myself
(why didn't they page me earlier??) I went in to see the mom.  She
couldn't get the darn rings out of her nipples!  I had another RN go in
with me who had experience in the OR with *body jewelry*.  We tried on
the left nipple for a long while to remove that ring!  No luck!
Luckily, I was successful in taking the right one out.  So she was
breastfeeding on one side when I left.  I am soooo hoping the family
might be successful at getting the other one out for her.  Maybe I need
some heavy duty wire cutters!!  I guess I'll call ER in the AM and see
what they might suggest?

I spoke with a few of our local LLLs and they know lots of moms who just
remove them and put them back after breastfeeding. I've had questions in
Breastfeeding Class about nipple rings, but this is my first
*encounter*.

If she is bottle feeding when I get in in the AM I think I'll scream!
This *procedure* would have made a great America's Funniest Video!

From sunny, too dry S. Fla.
Pam Hendrix, RN, IBCLC, ICCE