From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 10:19:11 -0500
Thanks for the flu answers!  I was sure that my gut reaction - why on earth
would bf'ing be a contraindication to getting a flu vaccine? was right, but
getting that instinct confirmed helped a lot.  And I will use the CDC
references when writing to this company to tell them they're wrong :-)  And
now if I could veer off-topic for a moment......

I don't presume to know everyone on Lactnet though I did recognize virtually
all of the names on Diane's list :-)   but I know that I have exchanged
notes off-list with a lot of you, and that in my Lactnet posts from time to
time I've alluded to my interesting educational adventure of applying to
medical school.  So I hope you all will forgive me for providing an update
via the list.

I'm not quite in YET.  I completed last year's schooling, taking the science
courses that are prerequisites for applying, and kept my 4.0, yippee!  I
also took the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) which has got to be the
nastiest ugliest most grueling multiple choice test around.  I have had docs
tell me that their boards weren't as awful as the MCAT, but I'm sure that
impression varies.  Anyway, I survived it and actually did fairly well.

I've interviewed at two schools and did not get accepted OR rejected by
either one.  Instead, I'm on one school's alternate list, which apparently
gives me a fairly good chance of getting in, and on the other school's
'hold' list, which isn't so encouraging but hey, they didn't reject me
outright.  So now I am in "wait list hell" and will probably not know for
many months whether I'll be starting med school next August or applying once
more for the following year.  I was really hoping that by now I could change
my Lactnet signature to "MDin2004" or something cute like that, but I'll
have to wait awhile longer.  I still feel very optimistic about my chances
and VERY determined that I will be a student doctor this time next year.

Meanwhile I have lots of time to read Lactnet :-)

Mary Riley Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Vienna Virginia  USA