From:
Julie Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:58:25 -0400
You wrote:

Date:    Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:37:47 -0700
From:    Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: breastfeeding, cosleeping, & hypothetical hospital abductions

Catherine writes:

"It wouldn't be so easy for people to abduct infants
from the hospital if they were all in their mom's beds
cosleeping and breastfeeding!"

I couldn't agree more.  However, one hospital in our
area became infamous (in my mind at least!) for
telling moms babies could not "room in" precisely
because it would put them at risk for abduction...

Susan Johnson  MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City

A friend  who recently had a baby in a hospital expressed her concern that,
if she roomed in, someone weirdo might come in and try to hold the baby
(perhaps someone visiting another patient) even though she knew stealing the
baby was impossible given the security measures.  I guess that's another
good argument for (if your gonna have a hospital birth), taking your newborn
and getting the heck out as quickly as possible.

My friend decided to send her baby to the nursery when she slept, but later
informed me that the nurses brought her the baby to nurse every time the
baby opened her mouth.  Could it be that the nurses are now so afraid of
being accused of compromising breastfeeding by letting the baby scream
before she is brought to her mother that they are hyper-vigilant about
bringing the baby back for feedings?

My friend lamented that she probably would have gotten more uninterrupted
sleep with her baby in her room the whole time.  I just bit my lip, smiled
and nodded and hoped she remembers what she said when the next baby comes
along...

BTW, When I inquired of the hospital staff their policy on cosleeping, the
nurse sternly told me that it was forbidden since a baby fell out of bed a
few years ago and sustained a skull fracture.

Julie Rosen
LLLL in New Jersey