Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:24:58 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
Dear all:

I have to confess that I find it much harder to think up constructive suggestions than to 
critique.  At Hopkins I only learned to critique an article.  At Cornell, our professors would 
not allow us to simply critique an article we would have to explain how we would do the 
study differently in response to our critique.

While critiquing the breastfeeding component in the GAIN project ---- I didn't really offer 
an alternative of a program I liked.  I just heard one on NPR the other day about an 
agricultural program that was going to use an existing a corn strain that was 10 times 
higher in vitamin A than what is currently being planted.  Not only would this be of 
benefit, it offers the promise of meeting ethical standards of those who are 
uncomfortable with genetically modified food.  It still didn't really address anything to do 
with breastfeeding, but at least was unrelated with a product that might compete with 
breastfeeding and would need special messages to ensure it would not compete with 
breastfeeding.

Separate from the content and interpretation of the Ameda ad, it had appeal as written 
because it was simple.  While thinking about the content of the ad, it said nothing about 
the audience.  I interpreted this simple ad as targeting working mothers.  Others 
interpreted it as targeting mothers of babies with feeding difficulties or their own infant's 
feeding difficulties.  We all have varied interpretations when reading ads.  There is on the 
NY subways.  I read this ad that says "The only safe place to sleep is alone" and get all 
pissed off because I think I'm going to have to work harder with parents who stuck the 
baby in some other room and remember the parents who put the baby in a sound and 
light proof recording room for the entire third night.  Someone else might think that's 
great because they heard of the 2-3 deaths in the homeless shelter that occured when 
babies were sleeping next to their parents.  Both ad messages are beautifully worded in 
that the message is short and simple.  Both can be interpreted different ways. 

I'm struggling myself right now to figure out a way to improve my survey for presidential 
candidates to make it easier for them to respond.  Because I didn't get specific 
suggestions, I'm having a tough time working on my own revisions.  

I also have to disagree that a better pump saves time --- except if you're comparing a 
double pump to a single pump.  I find that a poor quality pump doesn't drain the breast 
well regardless of how much time you leave it on.  Furthermore, I find that poor quality 
pumps have a higher risk of pump trauma.  Choosing a pump  that minimized trauma and 
makes it easier when your baby has problems completing feedings at the breast is not an 
issue that many mothers don't think about unless they have personal experience --- so I 
can't see how one could make a good simple ad out of that.

Best, Susan 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2