From:
Wendy Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 12:54:23 +1000
I too have concerns about claims that breastfeeding protects against
breast cancer.  One reason that Lactnet impresses is that it is clear
that its members are keen to seek evidence to back up their beliefs.

We all know that breastfeeding studies present certain methodological
difficulties and that there are several possible confounders that may
cloud any association between lack of breastfeeding and breast cancer.
But we cannot ignore the recent report in the Lancet (Michels K et al
Prospective assessment of breastfeeding and breast cancer incidence among
89,887 women. Lancet 1996;347:431) which was large and prospective and
did not confirm a reduced risk among women who had breast fed.  They do
state that their study has not ruled out a protective effect - but the
epidemiologic evidence remains inconsistent.  The discussion section of
the paper is worth reading as a useful overview of the difficulties of
studying this question.

We need to be careful not to exaggerate claims for breastfeeding (no need
because there is clear evidence of multiple benefits) both for the reason
put by Ellen McIntyre of false reassurance, and because it reduces
our credibility.

Best wishes

Wendy Holmes
Melbourne