From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:29:56 -0400
I just don't know how we'd have an exam of this size if it weren't multiple choice.

But I was tickled, right after taking it in 1990, to see a TIME magazine article about how men and women respond differently to hypothetical situations.  An example, given to boys and girls, was "A man's wife is very sick and he doesn't have money for medicine.  Is it all right for him to steal the medicine from the drug store?"  The boys said yes, because it would save her life.  The girls pointed out that if he stole the medicine he might go to jail and then he'd be of *no* use to his wife!  Better he should work out a pay-over-time arrangement with the druggist.

And sure enough, here was an exam written by women for women, forced into a multiple choice format... but giving us ample paper to record our "yes but" remarks, and promising to throw any question out if there were very many concerns about it.  How very female of us!

I left that first exam without a clue as to whether I had passed or failed, even though it turns out I did fine.  And I figured my uncertainty was because it really was a pretty good test of judgment rather than rote memorization.  Not "which of these answers is right," but "which of these right moves would you make *first*?"  I thought that was the perfect approach, and I suspect that my deciding to imagine a LLL home visit and just write down whatever it was I would really truly do first was what caused me to do well.  An awful lot of the exam, at least in 1990, was about good counseling/listening skills.  (Don't remember the 2000 exam as well, except that I sure filled up a lot of that "yes but" paper...)

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.normalfed.com