From:
Zoo-Mama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:40:01 -0600
At 9:27 PM -0600 1/28/02, Jim & Winnie Mading wrote:

>I think the word you're looking for is "feed".
>Sounds simplistic, but it's the first think that comes to my mind.  I
>think it's because with other mammals, it is widely accepted that that's
>the way it's done-no having to choose between teat or bottle.  It's only
>with humans that we seem to need another word.  It's a baby-you feed
>babies-mother's milk is what babies "eat".  Period, end of thought,
>nothing else needed.
>I dream of the day when this is the norm.

Yeah, no kidding.  I was disheartened at my pediatrician's office on
Friday.  I took my 3 month old baby in -- turns out it's just a cold.
Doc was giving me instructions... "cold mist humidifier, elevate his
head, give him extra fluids -- pedialyte, juice, water..."  I gaped
for a minute... then said "Um, he's breastfed."  (I have told this
pedi before I'm a LLLL -- obviously he didn't remember.)  He said,
"Oh, well, then, extra nursings."

I was so sad that he would automatically assume a 3 month old baby
(or any baby) was formula fed.  :-(  I guess that's just what he's
used to seeing.

Maren (who wishes her pedi was as pro-bf as he is anti-smoking)

Eli (3/4/99): http://ohww.norman.ok.us/eli
Isaac (10/17/01): http://ohww.norman.ok.us/isaac