From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:27:56 EST
I totally agree that the idea of breastfeeding hurting has been a big  hurdle
for both us in the lactation field and poor mothers to undo.
Change is so slow and sometimes feels like it will never occur.  I  keep
teaching the staff what is current in the literature.  I get all of  them to nod
their heads to me but there are many who just don't want to give up  "the way
they have always done things."
I keep learning and evaluating what I see and how I help a mother.  My
theory on why some moms still have pain when all looks correct are either she  has
deep nipple damage that needs to heal and until it does heal there will be
some pain, the other is a mother who has very sensitive nipples and or skin and
they have discomfort no matter what.  I still try to find a way to make the
breastfeeding less painful for them.
I want to add one more thing about "latching" and positioning at the  breast.
 I continue to see nurses and mothers "putting the baby on the  breast"
verses the baby going onto the breast on their own.  In getting the  baby on the
breast the Mom or who ever is helping her is pushing the baby's  head.  I have
finally gotten to the point of putting my hand on the  mother's head and asking
her if she is comfortable with me holding her  there.  None of the mothers
like this.  Than I move my hand down to  their neck and back and ask the same
question.  Now they do not  object.  I tell parents no one likes their heads
pushed and this includes  babies.  I tell them to GUIDE their babies to the
breast and hold them  securely along the neck and spine but DO NOT PUSH THE HEAD.
I am going to do a little exercise with the nurses and pair them up and  have
them take turns putting their hand on the other's head and get their
feedback.
The process is ever evolving and interesting.  :-)
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
still snowing in Boston, MA