From:
Tricia Cassi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 17:36:55 -0500
Robin,

My second baby was born in 1990 and a poor latch gave me sore and cracked
nipples and I developed a plugged duct which I did not treat.  It developed
into mastitis, but I didn't recognize that since I don't remember having a
fever or any of the body aches that I see in my patients with mastitis.  I
didn't call for help until I developed an absess when my baby was about a
month old.  It was just a very sore red spot to me at that time, though now
I know better.

I was sent to the emergency room where the surgeon saw me nursing my son in
the waiting room.  She was able to drain the incision and sent me right home
(not her preferance) so I would not be separated from my baby with an
overnight stay.  She told me not to breastfeed on that side until it healed
since the breast infection could be transferred the other breast.  I knew
that mothers could feed twins, so I figured I could simply feed him from one
breast.  I didn't pump since I knew little of this as I was a stay at home
mother and never pumped for my first baby.  Looking back, my breastfeeding
knowledge was sorely lacking.

Somehow, I didn't develop any more plugged ducts and the right breast did
start to involute.  My baby increased the supply on my left breast and when
my absess was healed I did put him to the right breast once again.  He
accepted it and went on to nurse for nearly 3 years.  That baby preferred my
unaffected left breast to the right breast for a very long time (I can't
remember if it was months or years) and I think that breast never developed
the full milk supply that I had with my first baby.  My next two babies
nursed successfully for 5 years each (with some tandem nursing) and there
was no difference in milk supply or breast preference.

I have learned so much since this experience and my second baby probably
helped define my current career path.  I later became a LLL leader and
learned that I didn't need to stop nursing on the affected breast since the
incision was far enough from his latch and that I should have pumped while
not feeding on that side.  But I did successfully relactate on the affected
breast and my baby was never supplemented with any formula.

I hope this helps.  I feel for the mom as this really complicates
breastfeeding and I hope she finds the support she needs.

Tricia Cassi, BSS, ICCE, IBCLC
Vermont