From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:16:26 +1000
Dee,
Would you consider getting these instructions on the net somewhere? I also
often suggest cobathing to mothers and while I have access to the couple of
papers that have been published that describe how to do this I have not
found anything on the net and I think it would be wonderful to have detailed
instructions for cobathing where mums can access it.
BTW, I also find lots of useful stuff in Tina Smillie's work (and am really
looking forward to catching up with her in Hobart at the ABA conference in a
couple of weeks) and have seen that recall of instinctual breastfeeding in
children whose age is measured in years rather than months....
Karleen Gribble
Australia

> You ask about babies who won't latch.  I often suggest that mom tries
once/day to take a bath with the baby.  I point out that babies love the
skin-to-skin and the warm water, and sometimes a baby will latch in the
bathtub who won't latch anywhere else.  I also give them specific
instructions for the bath.  And I tell them that sometimes babies still
won't latch, but that many mothers have found the time together, one-on-one
with that baby, to be so relaxing, enoyable, and bonding that they make it a
permanent part of their daily routine, even if they never manage to get to
breastfeeding.  I tell them that the bath together gives mom time to just
enjoy being with her baby, without all the stress of other stuff that is
going on.