From:
Theresa Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:55:01 -0800
Listmates,
I connect my reply to the thread below because it
deals entirely on what Valerie wrote.

Just to add to this discussion, I was born in 1959
(before polio vaccine)  I was the youngest of 3
children and the first to breastfeed.  I was born in
February and my mom wanted to quit breastfeeding me at
three months because that was a long time,(May1959).
Her pediatrician specifically asked her that she not
quit before the summer months because the polio virus
would be at its peak during the summer months, that if
she wanted to quit it would be better after the
summer.  She continued to nurse until end of September
1959 when I was 7 months. She told me this story as I
was growing up and we would see a few of my friends
that had the long lasting effects of having had the
disease.  As I graduated from high school 1977 and saw
a couple of my classmates with leftover wastage from
the polio virus I could only thank my mom over and
over for her being open to her doctors wishes and I
REALLY could hug that doctor for being such a
knowledgable health provider.  It could have ended up
so much differently!

Theresa Johnson RNC IBCLC
Heidelberg Germany
Having fond memories of someone who has gone who
influenced my life so much! :)

--- "Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>