Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:06:40 EST
  I happened to have taped the show this morning so that my sister could see
it.
  After seeing it I felt that it brought up some a few good points but dealt
too much on the problems which I feel happens when people talk to Katie
Couric.  She always seems to bring up the problem of working mothers being
unable to breastfeed.
  So when I read the couple of entries on Lactnet I replayed it and went over
it in depth.
  The gynecologist was Dr. Judith Reichman who I felt is probably is at least
moderately pro-breastfeeding.   But she came across slightly discomposed as a
couple of her answers were incomplete.  And also a little cold when she was
discussing stimulating "it" and caring for "it"  as there is a lot more to
nurturing a baby than giving "it" your breast.
  The Dr. did a good job of describing the study, about it's unusual length
and that there were small but significant increases in intelligence.  She
seemed more interested about the health benefits of breastfeeding bringing up
helping preventing infection, early cancer, decreasing diabetes, SIDS
deaths,which "positive benefits" could probably be attained in just 3-6 months
of breastfeeding.  Because the cutoff for the intellectual benefits of
breastfeeding is 8 months and "that's a lot!" said with much emphasis.  "It
would be great if we could go for the year but unless we get some legislation
and other ways to protect women that want to do this it's very difficult."
  If anyone wants my unofficial transcript email me privately.

Sharon Coe LPN IBCLC