From:
Dressler-DeMarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:25:28 -0500
Bonnie,
Thank you for the post clarifying the situation with your low milk mom
and baby.
You are wise to offer one or two suggestions at a time to the mom and to
concentrate your work with her on helping her feel more comfortable with
positioning and latch, and using the SNS, and keeping her focused on the
positives in the situation (number one is that she and the baby enjoy
breastfeeding, number two is that the baby has successfully breastfed
with the help of the SNS and the mom has managed it--it can get easier,
and number three is how committed she and her husband are to working
toward breastfeeding).
You seem very sensitive to the mom, Bonnie.  I'm sure she appreciates
this and that her reticence to ask for help will decrease as you develop
rapport with her. I wonder if reticence sometimes has to do with the
difference between one (maybe the usual) model of problem-solving
wherein one goes in, gets the diagnosis, and gets it fixed and the way
breastfeeding counselors check into a situation many times--part of a
process of problem-solving.  I have noticed some moms who call me more
than once often apologize for it!
Another take on reticence--as a LLLL, I always ask the mom for her
permission to check up on her.  But I still have to do a little work
(with myself) to separate from the situation when she says "no thanks"
to an offer of continuing help. . .
For a mom who was having difficulty "letting the pump into her life", I
once suggested that she not worry about producing and saving milk (since
she was barely producing drops) but start out by pumping a few minutes
every time she walked past the pump.  If it seemed like she was inclined
to take detours :), she could take a five minute break every two hours
or so and pump a couple minutes on each side.  It was a matter of
developing, with her, a plan for pumping that started with what she
could manage and worked toward her *goal* of double pumping 15-20
minutes every two or so hours to be reached within a couple of weeks. Of
course, part of the goal was that she saw an increase in the amount of
milk.
Once your mom is starting to let down with the pump, a daily pumping
while her baby nurses can help to increase supply and the milk
flow will encourage the baby.
Some of the suggestions for working with a baby who clamps her jaws as
she swallows might be helpful, too, like wrapping her in a blanket in a
flexed position for nursing; nursing in a darkened, quiet setting;
talking in a soothing voice; if she bites while latching on, the mom can
try first wiping the baby's face with cool (the BAB says cold, brrr)
then warm water several times before nursing; the mom can try holding
her breast with the dancer's-hand hold to help control the clamping down
baby's chin as she latches on.  These suggestions for your bag of tricks
if they aren't already there.
Bonnie, please let us know how this mom and baby are doing.  And pats on
the back to you for giving this your all!

Diane, LLLL in VT