From:
Irene Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 10:49:24 -0700
 > Date:    Sat, 30 Dec 1995 15:42:00 GST
 > From:    Dan Biles <[log in to unmask]>
 > Subject: Lactaid

 > Hi Netters,

 > Would there be any reason that a breastfeeding mother
 > should not take  Lactaid?

I have problems with Lactose Malabsorption  and took Lactaid while
breastfeeding my daughter.

> I know  that it is an enzymatic
 > "drug" and from what I understand it should be
 > utilized in the gut.  This
 > mom I am dealing with wants to know if Lactaid can
 > somehow react against the   lactose in her milk.
>Could this even be possible?

My daughter turns out to have problems with excess lactose as do my twin boys
and myself.  I wish that the Lactaid had worked in that way then I would not
have had to work so hard in controlling my overactive MER and the excessive
amount of foremilk that she was getting.

    In the literature from the suppliers at the time, you could use 5 drops of
the liquid in place of 1 tablet as sometimes little kids will not take a pill.

    Usually, the liquid is added to the milk and left to sit for 24 hours or
take 1 - 3 tablets when you consume a lactose rich food.

Irene Ford LLLLeader