From:
Nancy Rupert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:06:48 -0700
Hi, I am a student of lactation issues and I just lurk here, but last
night's episode brought up a question in my mind that I don't think anyone
here has touched on yet.  Maybe some of you can help me out here:

The baby in last night's episode died at *6 weeks* of heart failure brought
on by severe malnutrition (in other words, he starved to death).  Now, does
the time frame (if the mother was no producing milk) not seem awfully long,
first of all, and second of all, would a baby not be far more likely to die
relatively quickly of dehydration rather than malnutrition?  Is this story
even *possible* is what I am wondering?

Nancy Rupert