From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2013 23:03:48 -0500
I wanted to thank whoever nominated Lactnet for the annual award, the
"Mailys." If you think that you have benefited in some way from Lactnet,
please go and vote at  :

http://www.lsoft.com/news/choiceawards.asp

In 1995, 18 years ago, I started Lactnet to help a few isolated people who
turned out to be friends of mine even now, years later. Friends who helped
women breastfeed and who had no supportive community of professionals to
bounce ideas off of, or to discuss research with, or to just plain vent to.
That was why I decided to float this idea for this list to Kathleen
Auerbach, who was the Journal of H.L.'s editor at the time, and we placed a
letter in the Letters to the Editor in the JHL asking if anyone was
interested in my idea. That was the day that Lactnet was born, and it was
March 1995. I had a 3 year old, a 6 year old, and a 10 year old, all
breastfed daughters, now grown up. I myself will become a grandmother soon,
and I am thrilled. My husband and I are so excited, and of course I will
help her to breastfeed, as I have so many other mothers in my 20 years as
an IBCLC and in my 26 years helping countless moms and babies on the
internet and here in Vermont, in London, and Ohio, by Skype, mothers from
many countries, and mothers who are my neighbors, and now my own first
precious daughter, Emily, and her husband will have the chance to
breastfeed and parent their breastfed baby, an experience that is one that
will be remembered for a lifetime for her and for the grandma. ( OMG). I
can't believe she is that old.  That makes me, ??? oh, let's not go there.

In any case, I wanted to say Happy Holidays, and a warm cozy Solstice
night, and of course a Happy New Year to all who participate in Lactnet and
learn from it, as well as contribute learning and experience to others. It
is our job to show others how important breastfeeding is in a baby and
mother's lifetimes and to aid and assist and support those families who ask
us for help. It is my job to thank you all for doing it, and to ESPECIALLY
thank those wonderful women who work every single day of the year to help
me keep this list running smoothly, interestingly, and professionally,  365
days a year. Without them, Lactnet would be a memory, as it is more than
this one listmother can handle alone.

Blessings to all as we approach the shortest day of the year, and let the
light flood the corners of this world that need it most.

Best wishes, from cold and icy Vermont, Kathleen
--

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN,  IBCLC

Founder of both:
-Spinners,Knitters, Weavers Housecleaning Pages
www.kbbspin.org
- Lactnet
http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=LACTNET&H=COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Williston, Vermont USA