From:
Heather C Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:26:38 EST
I have been lurking for 2 months.  I have been silent as I am overwhelmed
by all of your knowledge and expertise.  I admire you all.   I want to
pose this question.   Katherine Dettwyler said that she saw women in
Utah,  pumping/expressing their breastmilk to put in a bottle for their
babies.  What do you feel is the reason for this?  Do you think these
woman were sexually abused?   If so, I would think pumping/ expressing
would be more of a sexual turn off than  the actual breastfeeding, which
is loving and nurturing.   Am  I mistaken?  I do agree, that the act of
breastfeeding is more important than the actual nutrition of the
breastmilk, but still am thankful that these women are at least educated
enough to know that breastmilk is best.  I am nursing my 2+ y.o. who
tells me " I need nurse"  She mostly has a non-nutritive suck.  She isn't
telling me she wants milk, she is saying, "I want you to hold me and
comfort me."  That is far more important than what is excreted.  I hope
you set them straight Katherine.

Brief introduction.  I am a SAHM of three.   I worked for 12 years as a
GYN/surgical nurse, and am currently a LLL leader in Central Indiana.   I
am hoping that when my kids are grown that I will go on to be an IBCLC.
I am learning so much from all of you.  Now back to my lurking.
Heather Richards
E-Mail Address:  [log in to unmask]