From:
maka laughingwolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 04:22:48 -0600
From: "Kermaline J Cotterman" <[log in to unmask]>

> I have since been thinking of ways to make this intervention "less
> bothersome" and safe enough for mom to attempt without help if no one
> else is at home so she can perhaps do it more often until the baby is
> securely "bonded" to the breast.

    this thread is the first i've heard about this approach and i'm anxious
to learn more (will go back to the archives after i get settled in my new
home next week). meanwhile, this little note.

    about 20 minutes after my younger son was born, we toddled (placenta
still within) from the living room to the bath and climbed in for awhile
(maybe an hour? maybe a little less?). right away we settled into a position
we liked...i leaned back on an inflatable bath pillow in a reclined sitting
position with him in a sort of football-hold on one side or the other. with
the water fairly deep, most of him was submerged in the water and he would
relax and latch on right away. we continued using this position until he
grew enough that the two of us together were too wide for the tub. we still
use it when we visit friends who have a spa.

    i don't know if this works with the rebirthing concept here or not, but
we bathed and nursed like this most every day for weeks after he was born.
these days we do more showers than baths, but he will still relax completely
and nurse, usually to sleep, in a tub of water with me, even on nights like
tonight when he's sick and grouchy and crying and refusing to nurse.

Maka Laughingwolf, who should be in bed instead of running back in there to
nurse him every 30 minutes, then back in here to read! :)
breastfeeding peer counselor
studying toward eventual IBCLC
in Garden City, KS today but
soon to be in Yakima, WA