From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 16:33:23 -0400
Jan:  I'm sure that one of the main objections physicians have to mothers
eating during labor is the concern about potential aspiration should they
need to have an emergency C/section under general anesthesia.  Sadly,
the chance of a C/section is at least in part increased by the unnecessary
use of high-tech interventions (at our institution, a Level 3 facility,
there is a 30% C/section rate), becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I
would love to hear suggestions on how to convince doctors to let go of the
routine NPO and IV practice for the women having low risk of labor
complications.  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]