Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 13:02:12 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Mandy, 

I am not an expert, but I work for WIC and am IBCLC. My understanding is that anyone working with the hospital who is NOT involved in patient care needs to know that breastfeeding is the goal. The point of 10 Steps, as I understand it, is that the peripheral employees need to have a general knowledge that it's good to breastfeed and that their job is to be supportive towards moms who are breastfeeding in the hospital . Then when they are encountering patients they will not recoil in horror at breastfeeding if, perhaps, they did not breastfeed. In other words, they just need to know it is good to breastfeed and support mothers. I think this can be done in a 1 hr training or in Employee Orientation or a brief in-service. Again, this is my understanding of the requirements. Good luck!

Sincerely,
Elaine Mazgelis, RD, IBCLC
Cambridge-Somerville WIC
Massachusetts, USA

Date:    Tue, 6 Aug 2013 17:41:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Baby Friendly Policy

That is what I am trying to say.  The Houskeeper is not responsible for getting a baby to breast so do I need a separate "universal" breastfeeding policy for the entire hospital staff that focuses on promotion, protection, support and following WHO code without the details of the Breastfeeding Policy we developed under Baby Friendly Guidelines.  I am leaning towards just one policy.  Just because the housekeeper (I am just using that as an example I could have said accountant or unit secretary etc) isn't responsible for getting the baby to breast is the point for her to know we do?  Thanks, Mandy

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2