From:
Judy Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 17:41:52 +0200
Devorah, According to Penelope Ody, your physician recommending that you
not take fenugreek during your pregnancy was right, but for the wrong
reason. Ody writes 2 "cautions" with fenugreek: (1) not to be used in
pregnancy because it is a uterine stimulant (!), and (2) those with
insulin-dependent diabetes should consult with a professional before
using this herb since it is a hypoglycemic.

As far as lowering blood pressure, I have only only source that mentions
this (in Hebrew), but the effect must be mild, since it is not
recommended in the back section where recommendations are made by disease
(i.e., if you have an eye infection, the following are recommended:)

I understand your concerns in recommending herbs. Something to think
about would be to consult with an MD-type doctor who is also into
alternative medicine (and there are actually a few in Israel - I think
one is in Rehovot). IMO, even if the physician was the head of a
big-hospital dept., he wouldn't know anything about herbs. I myself
prefer to stay as far away as I can from Heads of departments....just MPO.

Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva