From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 08:13:29 EDT
In a message dated 5/18/03 7:03:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> In reference to below, I was referring to moms that are not breastfeeding
> , they are bottlefeeding.
> Cindy
>

> > Why are instructions always to tell a mom no stimulation?  If a mother is
> > weaning and occasionally expresses some milk to release the pressure, the
> > weaning will continue and for most woman, this only takes a day or two.  I
> > agree with the cold or cabbage but why should any woman be in discomfort
> > speed the weaning by a day?

Cindy, I know that this is the standard put out there for both mom's who
choice not to breastfeed or those who want to wean, but my instructions are
for all.  Why should any woman suffer through engorgement?  Nobody has to.
If they use the cold, ibuprofen, and small amounts of expressing the weaning
process goes by quickly and no pain.  Just as Winnie also stated.  The idea
that any stimulation will keep the milk production on going for a long time
we all know is not true.  I am talking about small amounts of expressing, a
couple times a day.  Now to keep up lactation, especially in the first weeks,
one would have to do frequent (8 or more) emptying of the breast.
Besides helping these women not have discomfort I do encourage them to give
the little bit of milk they get to their babies and you never know when one
woman may even want to keep up the process and give her new baby a even more
of her milk.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, MA