From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:17:23 EST
Gail asked what guidelines could be given pediatricians for referral for
breastfeeding help.  I can think of many but one that leaps out at me is
this: refer to LLL, LC, whenever said pedi has the inclination to supplement
baby with formula; this would cover a few BF red flags such as weight loss,
engorgement, slow weight gain, sore nipples, colic, and I'm sure others can
add more situations under this umbrella of "need" to supplement.  I get
referrals from one pedi who calls me with parents and baby in office and
intervention can then be immediate which is wonderful.  I think unless a pedi
or HCP can take the time to observe a feed and knows what they're looking
for, like you, Gail, then a referral should be made and ideally followed up
on by the HCP-did that mom (or Dad) actually contact the LC, LLL, etc.

I've often thought of circulating a list to Pedi's myself and just haven't
finished a brochure yet-it'd be great to collaborate.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY