Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:04:39 EST
At LLL meetings, I try to make a point to mention to pregnant and/or first-
time mothers that the positioning that they see around the room, in older
babies, is not necessarily what you'd want to do with your newborn.  When I
see a mom with a newborn nursing at the meeting (and there is usually one or
two) I point out her positioning, and offer to show preg moms with a baby
doll.
  At a few months old, babies seem to able to get the milk they need in a less
than textbook -perfect position.  When travelling to another country, and
observing babies older than newborns, it might be easy to think that
positioning didn't matter or wasn't adjusted when needed, but one is probably
not getting an accurate picture of breastfeeding practices in that country.
I would dread someone having observed my nursing four month old when he was in
that distractable stage, looking around and taking my nipple with him.  :-0

Lisa Jones LLLL in Wellington FL