From:
Judy Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 22:09:01 -0500
Hello all,
   I am looking for some journal/prof/ stuff for a mom to share with her OB
on the subject of nursing during pregnancy.. I have shared with her the info
in the Breastfeeding Answer Book: "Medical reasons to consider weaning during
pregnancy may include:
*uterine cramping or bleeding
*a history of premature delivery
*continued weight loss by mother during pregnancy"

This mom is 4 weeks pregnant and is nursing her almost 3 yr old once a day.
The three year old was born at 36 weeks, healthy and weighing 7lbs ( should
this be considered a "history of premature delivery"?). Last year she has a
miscarriage - first one - at 6 wks. was told it was a "blighted ovum".She
 said it was quick - cramping, bleeding, miscarriage completed without a D&C.
Mom is 44 years old, thrilled to be pregnant and not in any hurry to wean the
toddler. Her MDs at HIP to her to "immediately wean" but she wants to know if
this is recommended by those who actually know something about BF and
pregnancy. She was told by RNs and MDs that nursing will lower her production
of hormones necessary to maintain the pregnancy. We talked about the info in
the book, and how her toddler may self-wean in the upcoming months anyway.
Any wisdom in Lact-Land I can offer her, and can anyone recommend  a journal
article for the staff at HIP if weaning doesn't seem necessary? If there is a
fear of miscarriage in a pregnancy aren't the Moms also told that they
shouldn't be having sexual intercourse, or am I off on that?
Thanks for any input. Judy Fram,Brooklyn, NY