From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:24:21 EST
Jan wrote:

<< So it isn't *just* an empty stomach that signals hunger -- otherwise
 breastfed babies would never go beyond an hour and a half or whatever the
length of
 time is for the milk to leave the stomach, and formula fed babies would never
 eat any more often than 3 or 4 hours or whatever time it takes for the
formula
 to leave the stomach. >>

Yes, and taking a look back at the Harry Harlow studies with an eye toward
the feeding part instead of the nurturing part, or how they interact,  I wonder
if we can learn something. When babies are nursed, their needs for warmth,
comfort, temp regulation assist, stress relief, breathing coordination, calming,
hydration and food are all met ( when mom doesn't treat nursing like
bottlfeeding with breasts.) So when babies are bottlefed by a person who has no
body-mind experience of the myriad needs met by breastfeeding, many things become
dissociated, as well as different than the norm achieved by nursing.  Who knows
if there may be extra calories needed to power such a being whose needs are
met in a more dissociated way, or if calming and organizing aspects of sucking
become overneeded when a bottle is used to meet needs...
Just musing,
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, USA
PS. I called a colleague who works in the Flatbush area of Brooklyn to get
her input on any babies here affected by the more-than-usually-deficient
formula. Will let  LN know if I hear anything.