Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 18:37:05 +0200
Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1987 Mar;26(3):111-5

Providing free samples of baby items to newly delivered parents. An
unintentional endorsement?

Hayden GF, Nowacek GA, Koch W, Kattwinkel J.

Recent studies have suggested that providing free sample packs of baby
items to newly delivered parents may adversely influence parental health
behavior. To determine the extent of this practice in Virginia, the head
nurses of all 68 newborn nurseries and a random sample of 200
pediatricians were surveyed. Formula samples were being distributed at
all hospitals. Formula packs were given to breast-feeding mothers at 65
(95%) hospitals although only 66 percent of the surveyed pediatricians
approved of this practice. Samples of baby items other than formula
(e.g., baby powder) were being distributed at 66 (97%) hospitals. Some
physicians (18%) objected to the distribution of these nonformula
samples, and others were not familiar with the content of these packs.
In most instances, the hospital medical staff had not voted to approve
the distribution of these packs. Parents were being informed only rarely
about the source and intent of the packs. The provision of sample packs
to newly delivered parents affects approximately 3,000,000 babies each
year in the United States. The short- and long-term effects of providing
these packs have been inadequately explored. Physicians should make an
active decision whether to distribute sample packs. Those physicians
choosing to dispense these samples may wish to review and edit the
content of the packs and to enclose in the pack a brief note explaining
that the provision of the products does not constitute a medical
endorsement.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dop
t=Abstract&list_uids=9271974

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dop
t=Abstract&list_uids=10796281

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dop
t=Abstract&list_uids=8155218

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dop
t=Abstract&list_uids=6133166

There were a few articles which proved the opposite, but I suspect that
these were funded by guess who!
YOU should also go to the WHO site to get the references for the Ten
steps which defend each stop including not giving artificial milk
samples.
Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Lis Maternity Hospital
Tel Aviv, Israel