From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:53:51 -0400
I'm interested in the link between the posts about "leaving a mother to
her own devices" and the post about katherine's sil. Actually, her
sister in law sounds a lot better informed and more committed than many
moms. In any case, I always feel a little uneasy when I hear about
things going wrong because a mother is not committed, or badly informed,
or the hospital routine interfered, or something. There are so many
things and combination of things, who really knows? With some of my
babies, BF didn't go well in spite of the fact that I consider myself
quite knowledgeable, had good birth experiences and/or was very
committed to BF my baby. Even now, I would find it hard to pin all the
blame on one thing: big nipples? retained placenta? emergency C/Sec /
meds? and/or baby's disorganized sucking pattern? Whereas after my first
two babies I would have just thought that BF was reasonably
straightforward as long as you nursed whenever they peeped, that was not
the case afterwards. I have worked with a couple of moms who have had
even the most gifted LC's more or less mystified. Sometimes it takes a
lot of support, committment, help, information and especially time to
figure it all out.
I like to start with the assumption that everyone is doing her best. It
helps me get through the day!
Jo-Anne