From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 23:24:30 +0000
An interesting study was reported locally today from the latest
edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Apparently women who had breast implants were nearly three times
more likely to drink seven or more alcoholic drinks a week, more
than 1.5 times more likely to be pregnant before 20 and twice as
likely to have had an abortion. They were more than twice as likely
to have used oral contraceptives, about 4.5 times more likely to dye
their hair, nearly nine times more likely to have had at least 14
sexual partners and much more likely to be thin than women without
implants.

Researcher Linda Cook said she conducted her study to aid research
on the health risks of breast implants. In light of her findings,
implants may have been wrongly blamed for certain health problems,
she said. John Musser, a spokesman for Dow Corning, said the study
was positive because it looked at "what other so-called confounding
factors may be contributing to these claimed illnesses".

As I suspected, this is a study that will be used to shift the blame,
and to be judgemental about this "group" of women.  Still, I found it
interesting.

Ros Escott BAppSc IBCLC
Tasmania, Australia