Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 16:14:58 +1000
Karleen - this is positive news about ABA and Medela.

Can you elaborate on whether this means that ABA will discontinue having
Medela exhibit at their conferences and take advertisements too, or does this
statement just refer to endorsement as it seems to imply ?

we have no alternative but to take steps to end our endorsement
agreements with Medela.>>

Jan Cornfoot
Breastfeeding Advocate

Thought that some here might like to know that the Australian =
Breastfeeding Association has decided that they cannot continue to =
promote Medela via sponsorship arrangements.=20

"It is with regret that the Board of Directors of the Australian=20
Breastfeeding Association inform their members that ABA acknowledges=20
Medela's statements, publicly and also in private meetings with=20
Association representatives, that it has, and also intends in the future =

to breach the World Health Organization International Code of Marketing=20
of Breastmilk Substitutes by advertising and selling feeding teats=20
directly to the public. As a result of this, and in keeping with ABA's =
sponsorship and=20
endorsement policy, Medela has breached the terms of our agreement and=20
we have no alternative but to take steps to end our endorsement=20
agreements with Medela. We have placed this matter in the hands of our=20
lawyers."

I am personally very glad that this decision has been made. I believe =
that it will strengthen ABA as an organisation and encourage the =
protection of breastfeeding from the nefarious activities of companies =
that breach the International Code.=20

Karleen Gribble
Australia