From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:14:44 -0800
I've seen a number of babies the past couple of months who have difficulty
latching on to the breast because their tongues are curled back up in their
mouths. Gentle touching of the lower lip to elicit a root and tongue drop at
best get tongue to gumline, but not much further or for very long. They
start to get the breast, but then quickly lose it.

I'm getting pretty good at dealing with these, but........ What is it with
these babies? Today's baby was born vaginally, vacuum extraction, but no
labor drugs whatsoever.  Some of my others had no real risk factors at all.
Why so many babies with curling tongues that repel the breast instead of
draw it in?

Since I'm in private practice, I don't have a total handle on all that goes
on before mom discharges from the hospital. But, I really am reluctant to
blame all of these on drugs/procedures/etc. Compressed nerves, or ????
Anyone have any theories?

Lisa Marasco IBCLC