From:
patyoungz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:51:16 -0500
I'm very pragmatic.  I truly believe breast milk is best and formula is the
fourth choice of what to feed a baby.

 However I live and work in the real world of the inner city.  Once parents
have made the decision to formula feed and it's too late to turn back, I
express my regret gently that they haven't chosen to breastfeed and then
work on seeing that baby is well nourished on what they have chosen.
Sometimes the choice is by default because they got lousy information, no
support or outright sabatoge and I try to correct that situation so it
doesn't happen to the next baby.

There are only so many hours in a day.  You can be altruistic and say never
give away formula, or  you can be realistic and help feed the baby.

Please don't bother to write and tell me it is never to late to turn back
and relactate.  You and I know that, but we aren't working FT to support a
housefull of people and can't speak English.  We have knowledge and
resources that my patients don't even imagine exist.  The average mom in my
LLL group has infinitely more resources and support than my average patient.

Sincerely, Pat in SNJ