From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:00:04 +0000
Morgan

Many thanks for this question, and thank you for
your kind words about the WABA World AIDS Day
Statement.  Sorry, I was in the air on 1
December, flying to WABA in Penang, and have only
just caught up to it (going backwards through unread LACTNETS!).

Are you asking about the studies which show that
exclusive breastfeeding for HIV-exposed babies
carries a far lower risk of transmission (0-4% in
the first 6 months, ~5-6% by 15-18 months) than
mixed breast and other-milk feeding (or mixed
feeding with other foods and liquids before 6
months) where the risk is ~14-16% over two
years??  If so, there are four studies which look
at this, although the first and second cited
below only followed infants to 6 months.

Coovadia HM, Rollins NC, Bland RM, Little K,
Coutsoudis A, Bennish ML, Newell
M-L.  Mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1
infection during exclusive breastfeeding in the
first 6 months of life: an intervention cohort
study. Lancet 2007 March 31;369:1107-16.

Coutsoudis A, Pillay K, Spooner E, Kuhn L,
Coovadia HM.     Influence of infant-feeding
patterns on early mother-to-child transmission of
HIV-1 in Durban, South Africa: a prospective
cohort study. South African Vitamin A Study
Group. Lancet. 1999 Aug 7;354(9177):471-6.

Coutsoudis A, Pillay K, Kuhn L, Spooner E, Tsai
W-Y, Coovadia HM for the South African Vitamin A
Study Group.  Method of feeding and transmission
of HIV-1 from mothers to children by 15 months of
age: prospective cohort study from Durban, South Africa.  AIDS 2001;15:379-387

Iliff PJ, Piwoz EG, Tavengwa NV, Zunguza CD,
Marinda ET, Nathoo KJ, Moulton LH, Ward BJ, the
ZVITAMBO study group and Humphrey JH. Early
exclusive breastfeeding reduces the risk of
postnatal HIV-1 transmission and increases
HIV-free survival. AIDS 2005, 19:699–708.

If this wasn't the info you were hoping to source, please let me know.

Pamela (Morrison)
Co-coordinator WABA Breastfeeding and HIV Task Force