Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 12:25:06 -0400
Dear Jennifer,

>I would never give my milk to a hospital so they could
>be paid for it, while all my time and effort go unrewarded.

Let me set your mind at ease.  I coordinate a milk bank that is a member of
The Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA).  HMBANA is a
non-profit group.  Women donate (no financial compensation, much like blood
banking). There is no financial reward for the donor, but rather the reward
of knowing that many people will be helped by her donation.  Donor human
milk banks do charge a processing fee to the recipient that does not even
come close to the amount of money that it requires to take the milk from the
donor, through the screening process, pasteurization of milk, and finally to
the recipient.  There are many steps that are required to make the donation
safe for the recipient.   Donor human milk banks would not be able to
survive if there were no processing fee.

Donna More’
Coordinator, Milk Bank, DE