Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 14:20:20 EDT
Dear Heidi,

I have had one experience in 2001 with a baby diagnosed with Duarte
Galactosemia and mom went on to breastfeed exclusively.  At the time I communicated
with Drs Newman, Wight, Gartner, Smillie and Dermer, all of whom said that
exclusive breastfeeding is usually possible as long as galactose levels in the blood
are monitored.  I have saved all the correspondence from the above mentioned
docs, as well as info from other Lactnetters.  I'm including your entire post
as I didn't see any responses and perhaps others would like to chime in, too.

If you wish to discuss this further with me, feel free to email me privately.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC