Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:55:17 -0500
I have a friend living in Ukarumba, Papua New Guinea for the next few years
who sent me this question in her latest missive. Can any of you plant/drug
savvy souls shed some light that I could pass on to her?  How about some of
you living closer to her part of the world...heard of this? used it while
bf?

"My latest "quest" is to research alternatives to the standard prophylaxis &
treatment for malaria. I had it a couple of weeks ago & between it & the
treatment, it is by far the sickest I have ever been! It was the variety
that tends to recur when your defenses are down (which they were), so I am
working on boosting my immune system, etc. Anyhow, I have heard from several
people here that they use guava leaves (grows here) to make a tea which they
drink weekly for prevention & for a few days to treat malaria. They claim it
is without side effects (a big plus compared with chloroquine or quinine!) &
works better. The question I have & no one seems to know is, is it safe
during pregnancy & lactation?  I suspect there is no research on it & since
it is a homemade thing it is hard to standardize doses."

TIA,  and it would be great if you could reply privately as well as to the
list.

Lorri Centineo
Portland, Maine USA