From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:13:30 -0400
This is what I tell parents about letting babies cry:

"You wonder if you should let your baby cry. Let me put it this way - say
I'm on call tonight, and I choose not to answer my beeper. After all, the
vast majority of calls I get could easily wait until the office opens in the
morning. A lot of them are just reassurance calls or parents that just need
to talk. Say you're trying to get in touch with me. You'll probably be
frustrated, maybe a bit frightened (if you were worried), and you'd quickly
come to the conclusion that you couldn't count on me when I don't answer.
You'd probably even be angry enough to look for a new pediatrician. Your
baby can't walk, he can't talk, he's totally dependent on you. He can't go
out and look for new parents."

By this time parents are nodding their heads in agreement.

"Babies whose needs are attended to cry much less than babies who are
ignored or made to wait."

Gail S. Hertz MD, IBCLC