Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:52:15 -0400
Even if some bacteria got into the milk, the dose would be small, and
unlikely to hurt the baby, though I would be concerned about a 28 week
gestation premie.  Breastmilk would also have anti infective factors against
e coli and formula fed babies get lots of e coli in their guts merely by
being fed formula.  I wonder why this is not considered a big issue?  Still,
once the mother no longer had bacteria in her blood, how could the baby get
any bacteria?  Usually, within 48 hours of adequate antibiotic therapy,
usually before, the blood is clear of bacteria.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC