From:
Attie Sandink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 21:58:06 -0500
        How important is wt. loss on day 2 postpartum? Saw a mom & baby
today. Mom had a traumatic birth, an induced labour lasting on an off for 4
day ? toxemia, lots of I.V. fluid, prepidil gel x 3, double pitocin
induction culminating in a C/section on day 4. I'm not sure how much fluid
she had all totalled.
        Baby, at birth was 4260gms, day 1 was 3970, day 2 was 3860gms.
Pediatrician insists on supplementation either with expressed breast milk or
formula because of the weight loss. Mother feels totally inadequate about
breastfeeding all of a sudden, after pediatrician ordered supplementation
and cant even stand to hear the baby wimper. Mind you the nurses were a bit
agressive trying to get baby on. Milk will spray out when hand expressed
although she isn't too agressive with latching her baby on to the breast.
        I helped and obtained a good latch, with a good suck/swallow for 15
minutes and baby spat up afterward. Have I got some room to move since mom
is just learning? Delayed because of timing of C/section. Is there any data
about increased fluid in baby if mom has had a lot of I.V. fluid thus
contributing to the greater wt. loss? I thought I read that somewhere or is
this just wistful thinking on my part?
Busy week and also trying to organize my own clinic.

Attie Sandink RN. IBCLC.<[log in to unmask]>